Saturday, November 24, 2012

Loving the Addict: A true story Book Review


I recently had the opportunity to review the book Loving the Addict by Raven Storm. I was at a loss for words. The story started as a journal for self therapy to cope with what had happened to the author in real life. She decided to write the book to let other women who are being abused know that they are not alone. Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop for a day or two. I finally had to take a breather but it wasn't easy. I would lay in bed only imagining what happened next, and even got up a time or two to read just one more chapter. 

The story of Brenda and Jake is definitely an on the edge of your seat roller coaster of emotions. Too many times I would yell at my computer screen while reading it, saying oh thank goodness he's gone, and then he was back again. Too many times I also thought why don't she leave, but I was reminded of how much easier it is said than done. Domestic Violence is a tricky thing to say the least. You want to go but you want to stay, you love the abuser but you hate them as well. It's a no win situation for sure. Brenda was a fighter. She loved Jake and she wanted to believe that things would get better even though she knew the liar and manipulator he really was. I've been there and I can relate. You want to help them. You keep on because you think you can make them better, but before you know it, it's out of your hands and there is nothing you can do about it. 

No-one should ever have to endure what Brenda did. It's heart breaking to say the least. This book, I highly recommend! Whether you are a victim at this very moment or a survivor, this is a must read. Please know that you are not alone, but more importantly, know that there is help. There is always a way out. If you are a victim, the first chance you get run, and never look back. Items can be replaced. Your life is much more important. No matter what they say, it will never get better. They will beg and plead with you and tell you how things will change, but trust me when I tell you, things rarely change. 

The Author Raven Storm is a very courageous woman. She endured a lot. Luckily she lived to tell about it. Many women don't. She is now an advocate for Domestic Violence Victims and Survivors. Please be sure to check out this bit of Important Information. If someone you know is being abused, I can't beg you enough to help them get out. Do whatever you have to do, but please get them out of there. Just letting them know you are there if they need a safe place to stay can make all of the difference in the world. 

There are many Resources available. Please don't become the next victim.

Be sure to check out the Blog and "Like" her on Facebook for the most up to date information. 



1 comment:

  1. Abuse and domestic violence are two issues this book addresses. It's hard for the "victim" to seek help because self esteem tends to be low plus generally they're isolated. This appears to be a gripping story.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive